Thursday, January 14, 2010

Put Vegetables First!

Eat your greens! Easier said than done for most. I have found through working with people, and in my own experience too that when we're eating a lot of sweets, even beautiful organic fruits we loose our appetite for greens. It takes me about 3 days of green salads, blended green soups, or juices to get it back. Why is that?

I did some research on line and could not find exactly why we have a harder time wanting to eat our veggies, but I did read a lot about addiction to sugar, fat and salt. I had to come to my own conclusion since all the studies were done on people who ate processed sugar, fat, and salt. We all hopefully know that white flower, sugar, and processed salts are addictive.

I believe we have conditioned our taste buds to want sweets to fill ourselves up when we feel sad, lonely, depressed etc.... and we go for sweets when we want to entertain ourselves. Eating fruits and raw food desserts are better than processed sweets of course, but I do experience an uncontrollable feeling even when eating organic dates. When I make my yummy date, almond, coconut, chai balls I always put a pinch of salt in them. Hmmmmmm. Once I start eating them it is hard to stop.

We love to eat things that taste good, so how do we bring back our desire for greens, and why is it important?

Greens are high in vitamins, minerals, antioxidants, phytochemicals and fiber. Experts suggest that you eat them along with your fruits many times a day. Antioxidants are phytochemicals, vitamins and other nutrients that protect our cells from damage caused by free radicals, and free radicals are environmental toxins like cigarette smoke, pesticides, pollution and radiation.

This is what you can do to start eating more veggies:

1. Drink them in a smoothie of 6o% fruit and 40% veggies.

2. Make my green soup recipe on this blog!

3. Eat what is seasonal that way you will always be trying something new.

4. Make veggie sauces and creamy salad dressing to go with your big daily salad.

5. Eat a big salad making the other portion of your meal real small.

6. Munch on raw vegetables that you have dipped into a veggie pate'.

7. Wrap them up in raw nori sheets with avocado and tomatoes.

8. Make veggies noodles with a mandolin or spiralizer.

9. Marinate your veggies! Check in tomorrow for some recipes.

10. Make a raw food sandWITCH form this blog!


Hope this helps you!

Come back tomorrow for more green yum!

Shanti



2 comments:

Kristen's Raw said...

Great tips for getting more greens into your diet.

We love our green smoothies, green juices, and green salads at our house. :)

Cheers,
Kristen

Susan Moon said...

YAH! We Love Green Houses!
Cheers to you!
Shanti