Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Drum Roll!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

O.K. The Recipe you have all been waiting for!

First I want to thank Gabrielle and Thomas Chavez for hosting me at their Sunday Supper event that happens through the Living Raw in Portland Meetup group organised by Brion. Here is the link: http://www.meetup.com/LivingRawPDX/

Essayem, one of the assistant organizers of Living Raw in Portland volunteered me to make a raw Eastern Indian meal for the Sunday Supper and was supper helpful in the preparation that took 2 full days. Andy another assistant organizer was also very supportive and helpful!

So many of you asked for this recipe and I was not going to give it out because I was saving it for my book! Some people were pleading with me and I so much appreciated the compliments that I am giving it to you now. I am also going to email it to everyone who has joined my meetup group Nourishing Elements, the link is provided above.

So now another drum roll...............................................................................................!

Almond Sunny Dal!

1 cup almonds + 3 cups water for making the milk soaked 8 hours
1/2 cups sunflower seeds (soaked overnight)
1 big chopped tomato
1 medium chopped zucchini
1/2 bunch spinach finely chopped.
5 T coconut butter
1/2 T minced ginger
1 1/2 T cumin seeds
1 T black mustard seeds (ground in a coffee grinder)
1 red hot chili optional or to taste (be careful these can be very hot)
1/4 t hing
1 1/2 t turmeric
1 /t salt or to taste
Fresh coriander leaves for garnish

Melt coconut oil slowly on low heat till soft with the turmeric, cumin seeds, hing, ground black mustard seeds, salt, fresh chili, and diced ginger. Put veggies in a glass jar then pour the oil on top . Let sit while you make the almond milk and process the sunflower seeds. Make the almond milk (soak1 1/2 cups almond overnight, rinse and blend in vita mix with 3 cups water, strain through nut milk bag. Soak sunflower seeds overnight, and then process in a food processor till smooth.
Put all ingredients in the jar and warm it in the dehydrator at 105 degrees for about an hour so you can serve it warm.

Oh and I am on day 10 of my juice fast or feast! I feel great!

Love to you All!
Shanti Moon~!~

7 comments:

Bob said...

Hi Shanti and fellow Bloggers,
If you're still fasting, I wish you the strength to carry on.

I was poring over a map of Europe and noticed The Celtic Sea. I'm no longer mystified by Celtic Sea Salt's curious name. I was starting to think it was a powerful Druid-enhanced substance, but it boils down to simply being a place name after all.

Also from your recipes, another discovery: Garam Masala. I never tried it before, but where has it been all my life?

All the Best,

Bob M.

Bob said...

Hi,
I've not yet gone looking for a dehydrator, so it will be some time before I can prepare this recipe properly.
I'm so excited about the Vitamix! I've made cookie dough (still not 100% there in regards to a conscious diet), hummus and smoothies both fruity and green. I was throwing kiwis in whole, but I just read that the microscopic debris, trapped in the fuzzy skin, can accumulate and cause problems medically (colon polyps, dysplasia...).
Mango skins, however, get the go-ahead, at least from www.hindu.com (sci tech). It's great to get those compounds and flavonoids in me, instead of the compost pile (uptown apartment) or the trash, now that I am downtown with a less than aware landlord.
Although I love vegetables, I get more veggies in me with these smoothies and the veggies don't get steamed.
I'm wondering now about almond milk. Are the leftover grounds used by anyone out there? I suppose I'll try 'em in the cookie dough. I gave up bread, but cookies are another issue, seemingly essential to my emotional well-being.

Sojourn On,

Bob

Bob said...

Hi,
Are you still fasting?
I have to know if it's going well.
I hope so.

Just Bob

Bob said...

Hi,
I just read about a Mr. Prahlad Jani of India, who's claimed to have lived the last 70 years without food or water and he's 82 years old. I thought it would be of interest.

Bob

Bob said...

Hi Shanti,

I got around to making almond milk and your recipe's been very helpful. The taste is extraordinary and the leftover paste can be used as a tahini substitue in my hummus recipe or occasionally a base paste for marzipan.

Health to You,

Bob

Bob said...

August is by us. The full moon was so bright last month in Port Townsend. It happened to be at the right angle to be shining into my apartment windows and provide some natural light. Not enough to go out and get a tan from it, though.

I wish people would consider giving up eggs, especially after this latest salmonella outbreak.
Problems. Problems.

But, beating astronomical odds, each of us are here, facing challenges or running from them.

I still would like to form a rock band in Port Townsend. Is it too small of a town? Did the drunks and the law kill the night life? Lots of people come here from Portland, Seattle and Vancouver, BC. I guess they shouldn't expect a cavalcade of entertainment here. There's potential, but it goes unfulfilled. My inner voice says leave it all and go somewhere else, where the music's happening. Life's such amystery to me.

Looking for Clues,

Robert

Bob said...

Hi All,

Lately, Gingergold or other early apples are freshest and least expensive for my fruit smoothies. Plums or pineapple seem plentiful at the market and after adding a bit of peeled ginger root, I've got my morning greeting. I'll make them for any would-be band members, too.
That fast food concern with a name starting with 'm' has now introduced smoothies to the menu. I heard an ad on the radio.
Happy Labor Day,
Robert